West Rusk CCISD Police Department

Frequently Asked Questions
1. Are West Rusk CCISD Police Officers actually Police Officers ?
Yes. The Texas Code of Criminal Procedures Article 2.12 identifies peace officers including, Officers commissioned under Section 37.001 of the Texas Education Code (ISD Police). All West Rusk CCISD Police Officers are peace officers licensed by the State of Texas and commissioned by West Rusk CCISD. They have all powers, responsibilities, and immunities as do all other Texas peace officer.

2. What authorizes the Board to employ police officers?
The Texas Education Code, Section 37.001 authorizes the District’s Board of Trustees to employ security personnel and commission police officers. It is the Board’s responsibility to determine the jurisdiction of police officers employed by the District.

3. Can West Rusk CCISD Police Officers make arrests off campus?
Yes. West Rusk CCISD Police Officers can arrest offenders of the law both on and off campus.

4. Can a West Rusk CCISD Police Officer issue me a traffic ticket?
Yes. West Rusk CCISD Police Officers are authorized to issue traffic citations.

5. What court do I go to if I get a ticket from a WRCCISD Officer?
If you receive a ticket from a West Rusk CCISD Officer, you will be required to appear in the City of New London or the appropriate Justice of the Peace Court as stated on the citation.

6. What happens if I don't pay my ticket?
If you do not appear in court or pay your fine, a warrant for your arrest may be issued by the court.

7. What role do district police officers play in school discipline?
None. Police officers are not disciplinarians and should not be used as such. Their role is to investigate violations of law and ordinances in accordance with the authority and power specified in Board Policy. While police actions may result in the assignment of a disciplinary consequence, discipline is the responsibility of campus administrators.

8. How do I report an incident to the West Rusk CCISD Police Department?
To report an incident occurring on school property or involving students, call the West Rusk CCISD Police Department at 903-392-7860. If it is an emergency dial 911. If after school hours contact Rusk County Sheriff Office Dispatch at 903-657-3581. If possible be prepared to answer:

•What happened?
•Where did it happen?
•Did any injuries occur?
•Were any weapons involved?
•A description of the suspects.
•A description of any vehicles involved.
•Are the suspects still at the scene?
•Direction the suspects fled.